Congratulations to Professor Ben Saul for an amazing victory.
The United Nations Human Rights Committee has found Australia to be in violation of no fewer than 150 points of international law in relation to the indefinite detention of 40 asylum seekers.
Professor Saul is quoted as saying:
“It is a major embarrassment for Australia, which is a member of the Security Council and often criticises human rights in other countries. Australia should do the right thing by respecting its international obligations and treating the refugees decently.”
Please read the full article on The Age website. This may be just the precedent needed to force a more humane approach to people fleeing persecution and arriving in Australia.
- Asylum boat capsizes off Australia (bbc.co.uk)
- Vote Compass: Kevin Rudd’s asylum seekers policy divides Labor faithful (abc.net.au)
- Rudd’s Refugee-Policy Shift Fails to Win Australia Voter Backing – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- So now we dump people on third world countries
- STOP THE BOATS
- Swiss asylum seekers segregated (bbc.co.uk)